Social networks are becomming more and more popular nowadays. Involving mobile phones in social networks is an open area.
We also have to consider the special abilities of new mobile devices. One of the key feature in new phones is that nowadays they are able to determine their current location via the built-in GPS receiver.
FindFriends is an experimental application which allows to share our profile with other users and we can also search for nearby users. Currenty FindFriends is in pre-released state.
FindFriends contains a Symbian-based mobile client and a Web application. With the mobile client we can upload our profile and location informatio to the website and others can download the relevant information from it.
The main functions are the following:
- User list: On the user list, we can see the current list of those who are exposing their profile and current location to the server. Each user is represented by a box where we can check their location on a map and the complete location history related to them.
- Location of the users: The server also allows us to check the current location of the users on an easy-to-use map.
- Details of users: We can see the user profile in the user detail view, including their current location with a timestamp, which shows the last update time.
- Location history: The server stores the location history (current location and timestamp) of each user, thus it is possible to check where the user was at a specific time.
- Location of specific users: The user detail view also contains an embedded map which shows the last location of the user.
FindFriends website is available at http://www.freeweb.hu/findfriends/.